AllWays is the name we have chosen for a proposed intentional community in the Athens, GA Area. On October 16, 2020, we were able to purchase, through the AllWays Lands and Grounds Association LLC, a tract of property, totaling nearly 49 acres, north of Vincent Drive in Northwest Clarke County. The map at right shows the position and extent of the land.
The mission, as ever for AAP, is to provide religious infrastructure and support to Pagans in the Athens, GA, area. Specifically, we plan to provide outdoor, and eventually, indoor, spaces for Pagans, and others, to use in spiritual or religious practice. We plan that these areas be supported and maintained by an on-site, planned community. Community members need not be Pagan, and they are welcome to enjoy the communal areas and buildings, gardens, natural areas and ecologically sustainable housing.
AllWays will be divided into religious and natural grounds (for many Pagans, there is little distinction between the two), and living and working areas. The religious/natural grounds will occupy a significant percentage of the land, and these may be used by all persons, though they will be maintained for religious use. The living and working areas will be allotted to housing, plots for farming, and buildings to use for storage and workshops, etc. Plans are also underway to start a horse rescue tended by Wounded Warriors.
Current Development Plan
We try to fit our development plans into existing laws and ordinances, as opposed to trying to obtain variances, change zoning, etc. For this reason, plans occasionally change due to local requirements, and to changes in local requirements. The following is the current state of our plan.
Phase 1: Years 1-3 (from the end of 2020)
- Purchase land (done! yay!), secure proper permits, erect custodial living spaces
- Create natural spaces (clearings, paths, etc.) for religious activities. (In progress)
- Survey community to determine needs regarding structures for religious activities. (Round 1 done)
- Raise funds for building these and determine legal/tax implications and requirements. (Indiegogo coming soon. Other events being held through the year.)
Phase 2: Years 4-6
- Secure permits, etc., as needed for religious structures and build them.
- Split plots so multiple dwellings can be built in the Residential zone.
- Add infrastructure/utilities as needed so that members of the custodial community can begin building small personal dwellings as desired.
- Purchase or build first community building.
How Can You Help?
AllWays is a big project run almost entirely through volunteer work. We are a small group doing what we can when we can, and we would love to see more people get involved.
There are many ways you can help. The land itself is going to require a lot of physical work. We need trash and invasive species removed. We have some paths cleared but they could be improved and extended. Usable spaces need to be cleared. Structures need to be built. Examples include restrooms, seating, storage shed, shelter, fencing, meditation deck, etc.
Another thing we need is funding. Eventually we would like to be self-sustainable. But that is a long way off. We would greatly appreciate any monetary donations you could give to help us achieve our goals. Even a single dollar ads up over time. But we don’t intend to rely solely on individual donations. We are also searching for grants and fundraising opportunities. If you would like to help with that aspect, we would be quite happy to bring you in to that search.
We could also use help with social media. There’s no point in setting up all this if no one knows it’s here. And the world of media is vast. It takes a lot of time to spread information. Help us get the word out!